Choosing Godparents

1:55 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
We are having a baby and in doing so, we are planning to pick Godparents. I must admit I am not the best religious person. I haven't been to church since Drake was baptized. Despite my godmother's best efforts to get me there, I never make it. This is no excuse. I'm letting Drake down in showing him and teaching him about his relationship with God. I may find this hard to do because I am not all that clear on my own relationship with God. I was baptized last March and wish there was something to draw me back in. A group or something extra that will keep me connected. I've been looking and continue. Also, watching movies about God and reading articles really have me thinking. I am making a promise to myself and God that I will have my relationship sorted out and more stable prior to bringing my next child into the religious community. I owe my children that at the very least.
This makes me ponder, what should I really be looking for when choosing Godparents. When we chose Drake's we chose on whether they were baptized, would they be there for him in the future and could they help him if he wasn't comfortable seeking help from us(his parents.) We chose Scott's best friends Tim and John and Tim's wife Robyn. John was our religion expert, he was the devoted Episcopalian. Granted he has had some church issues and from what I understand has been a less than avid church goer. I believe that he still has just a strong relationship with God and he will be there if Drake has questions about religion. Tim and Robyn, we can always count on them to be there. Robyn sends cards and gifts any chance she gets. I know Drake will feel their presence in his life. They will be people he undoubtedly could go to for anything. I whole heartedly believe we made the right choice.
As for choosing Ashlee/Colten's godparents, I've had a couple of questions. I'd really like at least one of the Godparents to be an avid church goer. By then myself and the kids will be and I want the same for their sponsor. I'd like one of them to be a guide and someone they can depend on not to forget anything(birthdays, baptism anniversary, etc.) Lastly, this may sound odd, but if it is a girl, I want one of them to be someone who was close to my sister. After all the child will be named after her. I'd like this person to be someone who can tell my kids stories about my sister, perhaps stories I don't know about. That being said, we haven't really made any decisions. If it is a girl, ideally we will choose two females and one male. If it is a boy, vice versa. At this point, I have an idea for one godparent, regardless of the child's sex. That's all for my religious spiel.

0 comments: